Onekawa Bible Church was officially opened on May 10th, 1959. The church had its beginnings through the support and help of Carlyle Gospel Chapel, a church that had been serving Napier city since 1882. The location of Onekawa was strategic as it was a new subdivision with many new houses and families setting up homes in the area. In the early years, evangelists such as Ces Hilton, Colin Graham and John Komene proclaimed the gospel and a number of new believers were added to the church. In 1964 the current auditorium was added to cater for the growing church and ministries.
OBC is an independent church with an affiliation to the NZ Christian Brethren churches. During its history, the church has been committed to preaching the Word of God, supporting national and international missions, proclaiming the gospel, discipleship, youth and family ministries.
In 2011, the church leaders decided to employ a full-time pastor for the first time. Phil Henderson and his family joined us from Riverbend Bible Church (RBC) where he had served as an elder, youth pastor and lecturer at The Shepherd's Bible College. A faithful team of about 20 saints from RBC also came with Phil and this proved to be a huge blessing for us. Since then, we have seen and experienced the Lord's blessing in numerous ways.